Thursday 9 July 2009

The Great Spotify Experiment

Let me give you some background...

Mr Alex Blackburne is forever going on at me about my music taste. Insults such as ‘80s Boy’ have been thrown at me and frankly I’d had enough. I will admit to a slightly unhealthy desire to occasionally listen to Duran Duran, but that’s all it is, occasional. So I pointed out that Alex’s taste wasn’t exactly perfect (He has a Five megamix on his iPod) and challenged him to make a 40 track playlist which represented the bare bones of his music taste and said I’d do the same, then we’d swap. This Blog will give you a track by track review and then probably some form of GCSE science style conclusion.

So here we go!
Breaking Up – Rilo Kiley: A promising start, was singing backing by the time the 2nd chorus came around.

Rubber Love – Marmaduke Duke: Heard it before on the radio, can’t really argue with pop. Like it

Our Bovine Public – The Cribs: Very Wellyesque, can’t say I really buy into it, quite catchy though.

MGMT – Kids: Bores me, excellent when I’m too drunk to think but otherwise has no place on my iPod.

Oxford Comma – Vampire Weekend: The beginning reminds me of music you expect to hear in a Hotel lobby or lift. Not liking the anti-grammar based lyrics.

I’m not alone – Calvin Harris: Don’t like the guy but one of his more bearable songs, didn’t mind it.

Tribulations – LCD Soundsystem: Bored me a bit. Faded into the background.

Inaction – We are Scientists: Were good when I saw them at Ice Arena live but the studio stuff appears to be very average.

Encore – Jay Z: Once it’s been mixed with Linkin Park the original pales in significance.

Love Foolosophy - Jamiroquai: Reminds me of being about 10. Love the uniqueness. A classic.

Amylase – Cajun Dance Party: A song named after an enzyme that breaks down food? (thank you A-level Biology) Not original enough.

Spotify Ad: Oh wait...

Reptilia – The Strokes: Already love this song, just how far into the 80s does Al B think I’m embedded?

Moving to New York – The Wombats: Again, already on my iPod. Like the erratic bass-line.

You owe me an IOU – Hot Hot Heat: Didn’t anjoy it as much as Al B expected I would. Not the Best HHH around ;-)

Come Running – Darren Styles: Promising start but the dance crap killed it. Like a Scooter/Willy Mason cross breed.

Dawn of Dead – Does it offend you, yeah?: I don’t understand, it did offend me a tiny bit.

New Friend Request – Gym Class Heroes: FINALLY! A song about myspace and the politics of adding people. Never given them a chance before but maybe I should. Afterall, that’s what this experiment is all about.

2 Atoms in a molecule – Noah and the Whale: Short and sweet (Y)

More Than Words – Extreme: Would be more at place on my playlist, a classic.

Pink Sabbath – Danananananananananananananaykroyd: Listen to either War Pigs or Paranoid by BLACK Sabbath for a demonstration of why Black beats Pink.

Terra Firma – The Young Knives: Guy’s voice annoyed me.

Leave it Alone – Operator Please: Not really for me.

In for the Kill (Remix) – La Roux: Crap Voice, too slow. Don’t mind the original though.

Cath... – Death Cab for Cutie: Decent Voice, might give them a try!

Touch the Sky – Kanye West: I’m not racist, but... (I’m joking) I actually liked this, which surprised me.

Thank You – Sly and the family Stone: Play that funky music white boy.

Apply Some Pressure, Maximo Park: Liked it.

Somebody, Somewhere – Cazals: Quirky and upbeat, very catchy.

Do You Feel – Rocket Summer: Sound similar to Fall Out Boy, except FOB do it with a bit more feeling.

Letter from God to Man – Dan le Sac and Scroobius Pip: Very Unique, Al B raves about them. The lyrics make the song, which is the idea. Will be listening to these more.

Beautiful Girls – Sean Kingston: How alex can rag me for listening to cheese is beyond belief, this might aswell be Las Ketchup

If you’re out there – John Legend: Too downbeat and slow.

3 ad: damn, done it again. But still, how will free skype to skype calls help me when my phone never works?

Paranoid Android – Radiohead: Songs this long need to be epic, this wasn’t.

I Remember – Deadmau5, Kaskade: Not bad.

Clouds – Rumble Strips: Reminds me of the Benny Hill theme tune.

I Love College – Asher Roth: 2 songs come to mind; ‘Because I got High’ and ‘Heaven is a Halfpipe’. Laid Back, like it.

Out of the Question – Mumm-ra: Sure I’ve heard something very similar on this playlist already.

Around the World – Daft Punk: Prefer the Chilis song of the same name. In dire need of a shorter version! But otherwise good.

Banquet – Bloc Party: I automatically like songs which have been on Fifa, so this gets a thumbs up!


Well, that’s it! It’s been a bit of an eye-opener. Some of the stuff I would never have heard if it hadn’t been for this ‘experiment’ and it’s been quite beneficial. Some songs I loved, some I didn’t, but that was what it was all about. Here’s hoping that Alex has enjoyed it as much as I have!

2 comments:

Jon said...

Paranoid Android un-epic????????

samaxon2312 said...

Sorry jon, I just didn't get it. Maybe our definitions of epic are different!