Monday 10 January 2011

A Reintroduction to Blogging

I just logged into my Blogger account for the first time in what seems like forever.
My decision to revisit 2009 was prompted partly by the recent surge in “bloggerism” by a couple of friends of mine and partly by curiosity. You see as old age sets in (21 now), my memories are becoming increasingly harder to put dates on, scrap that, it’s hard to put years on most things now. I remember I finished school in 2006 and right now it’s 2011… isn’t it?

Anyway, after reading a few previous blogs, and also a few drafts that I didn’t publish, I realised that I should start committing a few more memories to paper (or to the internet at least). For instance, I’d totally forgotten about the black puma t-shirt that I lost two years ago, now that’s something I’ll want to tell the grandkids about, just in case they find it. I realise I’ll probably be way too fat by then but it’d still be nice to see it again!

Blogs, I’ve realised, are a brilliant way to preserve those memories, which at the time may feel totally mundane and unimportant, but in the future may bring a smile to your wrinkly, old, artery-clogged, heart attack having face. For instance, this great example of family life from 2009 that I found unpublished in my drafts,

“I haven't left the house for 3 days and the full family's ill. It's been horrible. Snot, sick and ear goop eveywhere.”

How can anyone say that that’s not precious?

After looking back over my previous blogs I decided that I should probably fill in the gaps (or at least plaster over the cracks)… I really have grown up a bit, 2 years ago those brackets would have contained a joke about the word gap. Oh my days.
It’d be unfair to only now start waxing lyrical about 2010, already half way down the page. Future Sam would hate me for that. Therefore I’ll be writing a blog over the next few days with all the juicy details, or at least the details I can remember. Something about a tent with Al B?

No comments: